Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Nearly 18 years ago, God placed a child under the care of a woman. As her second child, and last, so the mother thought, this child would prove a strong will and stubborn personality. She was oblivious to the degree of difficulty that was entrusted to her that day, or perhaps she would have chosen a different path. As the child grew under her care and tutelage, the mother was tried and tested on a daily basis. This was one difficult child. However, by the almighty grace of God, the mother not only survived the upbringing of her child, but with grace and humility she sought only God's best for her child.

Mom 3
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This woman is my mother. I cannot say enough about this extraordinary woman of God. She raised my, as well as my five siblings, always saying, "God has a plan." Never flippantly or as an excuse but with genuine faith in a sovereign whose will would persevere far beyond her own. Never forgetting to seek out heart attitudes and motivations when disciplining and correcting, she has trained us not to look to the world as an excuse, but to look to our own hearts to find the root of our sin. Though seemingly insignificant, she would never leave me to bear sickness on my own though it would have been the easier route. She denied her needs staying us countless nights, with a loving hand on my back and a soft word of comfort. Since I was entrusted to her, she has prayed for me without ceasing and recognizes that I am hers only for a season.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Though I am sure I have never communicated the depth of my appreciation and respect to her, I hold her in the highest regard and look to her as the exemplary God-fearing woman. I recognize her flaws, but more so her great humility and heart for growing in Christ-likeness alongside me. As we continue to follow the path God has chosen for us, I pray I might bless her as much as she has blessed me.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Mom 4
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Mom 5

Mom, thank you. Simple words for such a complicated emotion. I am so grateful for your patience, grace, humility, and love that I cannot even communicate it to you. Your faithfulness and submission to Dad is a picture of your relationship with your Savior. Your unconditional love is a constant reminder of my Lord's love for me. Thank you for pursuing me when you nor I wanted it. For tucking me in with a lick of the nose and waking me up with your kisses. For putting up with my selfishness, pride, and insecurities, and always seeking me out. Thank you for caring. For making me laugh when I wanted to pout. For showing me how to love. For loving me when I didn't even love myself. Thank you for your example. I love you dearly. I hope to be like you when I grow up.

I.
Love.
You.

2 comments:

Cait said...

PS So sorry the images are so huge: hope no one gets scared!

Anonymous said...

Awwwm that's so sweet! and the pictures are fantastic! Love, joelle